Thursday, July 7, 2022

B School or Pizza Night?

 

Skip B-School, Go out for Pizza instead.


My wife & I are out for our weekly dinner:
Cold ante-pasta for two, pizza, BYOB claret.

A woman comes in with two children.

Owner: Are you here for a pickup?

Wife: No. We're here for dinner. My husband is
picking up a bottle of wine. Can you bring us
two glasses.


The husband comes in carrying a brown, paper bag.
I have a bad feeling about this.


Wife: Where's the wine?

Him: I thought we'd have beer instead...

Silence.

I feel chills up my spine.


As we get ready to leave, my wife goes to powder her
nose. I pay the check. 

Before we leave, I say to the woman,
"My wife & I weren't able to finish our wine, would you like
it?"

She says thank you. I pour her a glass. 

As we leave, she says in a loud voice--for her husband's benefit--not mine, "What a nice man. What a very nice man."

The B-School lessons:

1 Bait & Switch:  He offers a customer 
Pizza and Wine--he delivers Pizza & Beer.

2 Over promise [wine] Under deliver [beer]
In cans, not even bottles.

3 Market penetration from a competitor
Seizing the opportunity, a competitor 
delivers a free sample of wine.


4 Inventory optimisation.  Why 
leave inventory on the shelf when
you can use it to attract new customers?

5 Marketing strategy:  From the old canard
"Marketing:  Find a need and fill it."

6  Shelf space optimisation: Create 
additional shelf-space by rotating 
stock or giving discounts or by repurposing.

7 Revenue enhancement: What I gained
with the bottle of wine will see diminishing
returns--hence, I put the product into circulation
and add benefits to the investment in the wine.

8 Consumer demands:  Consumers want wine,
I deliver wine.

9 Market expectations:  The market expectations
were not fulfilled.

10 Sales

11 Customer retention

12 Customer Service

13 Product distribution

There is so much to be learned if you simply
see things in a new light or from a different 
perspective.

Regards,

Slim

Box 33
Pen Argyl, PA 18072
Etats-Unis

Copyright © 2022 Robert Asken
All rights reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment