Monday, July 22, 2013

Charmer in the Dell


"The Charmer in the Dell,
The Charmer in the Dell,
He can buy the company,
But can he sell the Dell?"


I watched and wrote as I watched and I wrote about the devolution of JCP under Johnson's stewardship.  This prompted me to post:




Mr. Johnson is no longer with the company.  Now, however, we are seeing the recapitulation through Dell.

There is no doubt in my mind that Mr. Icahn can and will succeed in his efforts to buy Dell.



In Your Logo:

While Mayor Ed Koch may have brought umbrage down upon himself while running for Governor of New York by disparaging Sears Roebuck suits, when I think of a suit from JCP the only thing that comes to mind is, "I didn't buy this suit at Sears, I bought it at J C Penney."

I did buy a Harris Tweed sports coat at Macy's, though.  The Logo?  A snifter of single-malt scotch.  What snifter of single-malt scotch?  The snifter of single-malt scotch I am sipping in front of a fire while wearing that Harris Tweed sports coat. (Okay, maybe Macy's is piggy-backing on the Harris Tweed Logo, still...)

To put it in simple terms: (imho...or not)


  • Dell is the Sears Roebuck computer
  • hp (or dy depending on how you hold it) is Macy's
  • Apple is Bonwit Teller


As Mr. Ackman learned, stocks go up when sales go up. Not the other way around.  Mr. Ackman spent time on CNBC selling Penney-Stocks.  The results were predictable. 

Remember when Sears Roebuck and Kmart put together that mutual validation deal?  How did that work out for them?


As I said, Mr. Icahn should have no trouble buying Dell stocks.  However, to achieve an enthusiastic buy-in from the board, it would help to have a CEO with a plan to make Dell the laptop that will Charm the Market.  Buying Dell is not the problem. Convincing customers to buy The Dell computer is another matter.  What Mr. Icahn really needs is a Charmer in the Dell.



Warmest regards,

Slim

slimfairview@yahoo.com


Copyright (c) 2013 Slim Fairview
All rights reserved.

See Slim's Profile on LinkedIn


NB  If you find anything here to be helpful, please don't hesitate to send me a really tricked out Apple, or hp and to tuck a few dollars into the envelope along with the thank you note. Sincerely, Slim.

No comments:

Post a Comment