Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Salvation Army Week




When William Booth founded the Salvation Army in 1865, he did it in response to need.  The needs of the poor who were excluded from the Churches in London.

The poor were hungry, ill, dirty, and hopeless.  Some Churches put up screens to hide them from the rest of the congregation.  And with that, General Booth founded the Salvation Army.

He founded The Salvation Army on Christian Principles summed up in a single word:  Others.

As he was nearing the end of his days, and with the convention nearing, everyone was eager to hear what may have been his last message.  However, he was too ill to attend.  So he sent a telegram to all the Salvation Army Officers in the world. It contained one word.  Others.


This photo was taken on Shield Day.  And here I am in my blue Salvation Army Polo Shirt with the red Shield on it.  

Serving as a  volunteer, in the Food Pantry, and the Corps, and as a Bell Ringer during Kettle Season, has been some of the most rewarding times of my life.  Certainly the best Christmases ever.  However....

In a few years I will be 70.  By then, I will have served for 10 years as a Bell Ringer for the Red Kettle drive.  However, this year I had to end my service.  Not due to the pandemic, but because I don't have the stamina to serve.  That is why I posted this article.  To help as best I can.  Please join me in helping the Salvation Army:

Doing what matters, because starving people can't eat symbolic gestures.

Here are some ways to help.

Others

The Salvation Army--Pen Argyl
301 West Main Street
Pen Argyl, PA 18072
Payable to:  [ Salvation Army Pen Argyl ]

or

The Salvation Army 


And remember....


OTHERS



















God Bless you all.



Sincerely

Slim. 

No comments:

Post a Comment